Sunday 23 May 2010

Defeater. The best thing you will ever hear














Skip to 3 minutes for the breathtaking 'Cowardice'
Holy shit that is literally the most passionate thing I have ever watched.
The end chants make me want to weep haha
Defeater are arguably the best band in modern hardcore / music in general. Full stop
Their albums are well up their with Modern Life Is War, Have Heart and Verse in terms of well-written forward thinking music that is straight from the heart.
"This is for all your dead friends"

Two concept albums in 2 years? one alone is practically unheard of in hardcore, so for a Band to do two and to such a high standard is incredible.
I'm fully in agreement that they will release a MLIW - Witness style album (in relation to how amazing it is) which will blow the hardcore scene wide fucking open.
The below song Cowardice is the end song on 'Travels' it is the conclusion to the tale of a young man who kills his brother after he killed their father, and whos mother died of an overdose.
Told in the most heartwrenching believable way.

Cowardice lyrics
"there's no place for me."
a man of nowhere, a man of black heart from the dead end streets.
"regret runs through me. i am no one, i am nothing, i am a man of defeat. what's left for me?"
he thought of those open roads, his mother praying alone, that vagrant anthem and the field sung hymns, the cowardice forever following him.
"what's left for me? the world has turned it's back on me. there's no place for me."
a sullen walk to the chapel stairs.
"regret runs through me."
a hard pull on that white oak door to face up those fears.
"what brings you here my son?"
"i've been a horrible man. i killed my father, i killed my brother, i left my mother in your god's hands."
"clasp your hands and count your sins. kneel at the pew." and so the sermon begins.
"no judgment cast down this day, will set you free. you are forgiven my son, you are blessed and redeemed. you've found absolution here son, but only from me."
"what's left for me?"
a sullen walk to the steeple top to look over the city.
he carves his name in that old brass bell, so when it rings he can hear it in hell. one last look to that western sky, one last wish he could have changed his life.
"i ain't no wicked man."
he let his fleet slip from under him.
unwanted.


The lyrics alone don't do it justice. Just watch it please :)


.
MMX



0 comments: